Our Family 2019

Our Family 2019
Halsy, Brooke, Cameron, Katey Jane, Landon, and Claire

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pregnancy Update (34 Weeks)

Let me start with the positive.

Baby Boy is happy and healthy in my tummy. He is always moving and gets very excited every time I eat. I love feeling his movements and imagining what he'll look like. I am getting very excited to meet this little thing growing in my belly. I can't wait to see tiny diapers and boy blankets fill my house again. My body feels great, just tired. My feet have started to swell a little, but not badly and hopefully they won't get worse! He moves so much that even Cam and KJ have seen my belly move and felt his punches and kicks. It is very fun to see their happy faces when they notice my tummy move. I really am grateful for my doctors. They have been taking excellent care of me and little mister. They answer my millions of questions and do their best to keep my spirits lifted though this lovely ordeal.

Now onto the not so fun stuff:

 My Gestational Diabetes was not improved with diet change and adding exercise (which means that this change is most likely hormonal and will go away as soon as little man arrives YAHOO!) They gave me glucose medication in pill form (glyburide) to try and get my numbers under control. Just for your information, here are the normal ranges of blood glucose levels for  pregnant women:

Fasting (first thing in the morning): 70-95mg
After Meals (2 hours):  70-120mg

So far, my fasting numbers have never been in the normal range. My meal numbers were about 50/50. The glyburide helped my afternoon numbers, but not the morning. Also, they were not very compatible with my system because they would send me into hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). It was very scary for me. I had never felt that way before. Very dizzy, sweaty, weak, super hot, and my mind was fuzzy. The first one hit me while I was shopping with the kids ALONE at Target. Luckily I recognized it and tested myself to discover I was at 55 (very low for me) and I was by the soda refrigerators. I grabbed a cherry coke and went to sit in the toy isle with the kids until I felt better. It took a few minutes, but it happened. I stopped shaking and stopped sweating. I called my doctor and she told me I did the right thing and that I needed to eat immediately. I wasn't prepared for lows in my blood sugar, so I headed to Subway next door. I felt better, but was really shaken by the whole thing. I had a few more experiences like this and the doctors decided that we needed to switch to real insulin (the kind you inject!). I was super nervous.

The first time I had to inject myself took about 10 minutes. I sat in the chair in the kitchen sweating and chickening out a million times. Finally I had Halsy do it for me so I could feel what it felt like. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be......still sucks, but not that bad. I was able to do it myself the next morning. Insulin definitely agrees with my body more. My after meal numbers are just perfect, but they are still tweaking the meds to fix my fasting numbers.

I feel like all I am doing these days is going to the doctor. I know it is good for me to go and be checked on, but it is frustrating to have to so closely monitored all the time. I should stop whining.......at least there is a solution to my problem and my baby is healthy and safe.

6 weeks and counting..........oh and one more piece of good news! I will probably get induced a week early if I am dilated so that baby comes out and can get himself off of my blood sugar levels! If that is the case, it is more like 5 weeks and counting......I can do this!

1 comment:

  1. Brook you are soo Close!! You can do this!!! Your kid is going to be so cute and everything will be right in the world!

    ReplyDelete