Our Family 2019

Our Family 2019
Halsy, Brooke, Cameron, Katey Jane, Landon, and Claire

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Arrival of Miss Katey Jane Carter

We were in Eugene vising Halsy's family and were very excited to take Cameron Easter egg hunting with all his cousins, but all our plans changed when my water broke at 6:30am, waking me up!! I yelled for Halsy (sleeping in the other room because Cameron needed a buddy) and recieved a groggy reply. "Honey, come here please!" He arrived at the door half asleep, "So uh, my water just broke" to which he answered "Holy Crap, well okay then what do we do?". I told him to get all our stuff packed as fast as possible and I called my doctor. I have never seen Halsy move that fast! He packed EVERYTHING in less than 20 minutes.....I was so impressed. He woke his parents and they made Halsy and Cameron breakfast so we could head out the door.
   We made it to Legacy Meridian Park Hospital in 1 hour and 20 minutes.....definately speeding the entire way. We walked in around 8:30am and they got me into a room so they could check me. We called my parents to come and get Cameron and started the waiting game. They checked my cervix and I was still only dilated to 2 cm and 70% effaced. Also, they said that my water still hadn't officially broken. Apparently in most women the 2 layers of the amniotic sac are fused together, but in my case I had two layers of amniotic fluid and only one had broken. I was so bummed, but they said thay wanted to keep me in the hospital to see if I was going to go into labor since I was having semi-regular contractions.
   A couple hours passed and my cervix wasn't making any progress and they were starting to talk about the possibility of sending me home. Halsy and I went for walks around the hallways and whenever I was out of sight of the nurse station I was jumping!! We came back to the room and they decided to give me meds to help me sleep and when I woke up I would either be in labor or they would send me home. They gave me two shots in my butt - YOUCH and off the dreamland I went. I woke up at 2:30pm and my water broke!! YAY!! They weren't going to send me home!! We were so excited!
   The progress was so SLOW. Mom came to hang out with us and stayed all night - she was a trooper and kept Halsy from going crazy! She kept everyone updated for me via phone and texts and snuck in yummy treats. We watched Pretty Woman and quoted every line before it happened - driving Halsy slightly crazy :)
   It took forever to dilate even 1 cm, but the doctor didn't want to give me pitossin because I was a previous C-Section and they didn't want to stress my uterus any more than it was. So we waited. At 3:30am they decided to give me some pitossin because my contractions were spacing farther apart and becoming more sporadic. After the pitossin the contractions became more intense and at 5:30am I asked for the epidural. It was a little painful, but not unbearable, and after it was done I was in heaven. I mostly slept the rest of the time until the doctors checked me again around 9am. I had made progress!! Dilated to a 5!
   Mom slept in the waiting room and Halsy took the couch and we all tried to catch up on some sleep again. Around 10:45, I woke up and asked mom to get me something to suck on because my mouth was dry and gross. She headed to Fred Meyer down the road and as she left the doctors came in to check on me. I wasn't feeling any pressure yet, but within 15 minutes or so I felt a tingling in my bottom. I let the nurse know and she checked me. Sure enough I was fully dilated and close to pushing. I told Halsy to call my mom and get her back here ASAP. Mom thought he was joking with her, it had taken so long up until this point.....so she rushed back and got there in plenty of time. We called my dad and told him to hustle too!!
   The nurse started getting the room ready for delivery and said they would page the doctor when I go closer, and that it would probably be another hour before Katey comes. She had me do some practice pushes and said "oh wow, lets call the doctor, I think Katey is on her way right now!" The doctor came in and had me push a few more times, then said to stop while she got her equipment ready....20 minutes total pushing and out came Katey Jane Carter.
   The cord was around her neck, but not something that was uncommon. She was 6 lbs and 9 oz, 20 inches long. Halsy got to cut the umbelical cord and then they placed her on my chest and I got to cuddle and love on her for quite some time. Her eyes were wide open and she was perfectly pink and healthy. The doctors had to do quite the stitch job on mommy, but luckily the epidural saved me a trip to the operating room. I was bleeding a lot, but after 20 minutes of stitching the doctor was able to get it under control.
  This birth was amazing, I enjoyed it and hope that as I have more babies they can all come this way. I prefer this to a C-Section any day. We have our beautiful baby girl and we couldn't be happier.
Cameron came later that day to meet his new baby sister!

1 comment:

  1. so happy for you that she didn't need to come by way of c-section!

    ReplyDelete